Robert Half Director of Accounting in CHICAGO, Illinois
To apply for this Accounting Director role, email your resume to John Sadofsky (email@example.com). In the subject line, type "Accounting Director role"
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Real Estate Managing Director of Accounting position is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with income tax basis of accounting and international financial reporting standards. Your role and responsibilities include the following:
· Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
· Oversee all accounting operations, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
· Oversee the accounting operations of Property ledgers, Ownership Holding Companies, including the commercial and residential property management companies
· Manage a team of six members of the accounting department
Reporting & Compliance
· Issue timely and complete financial statements to ownership on a monthly basis for property ledgers and quarterly for management companies and ownership holding companies
· Monthly Budget to actual analyses
· Monitor quarterly and annual lender compliance requirements
· Coordinate with investor relations on timely distribution of financial information to investors
Revenue & AR Cycle
· Oversee timely billing of tenants on a monthly basis
· Monitor collections and review Tenant Performance
· Final sign-off of annual CAM reconciliations
Cash and Accounts Payable Cycle
· Ensure monthly bank reconciliations are reconciled monthly
· Monitor Cash on weekly basis
· Oversee weekly payables processing and check-cutting process
· Weekly approval of wire coding and non-tenant Cash receipts that are usually tied to atypical transactions
· Review of Annual 1099 filing compliance and coordination with external accounting teams
Real Estate Asset Cycle
· Review acquisition and disposition transactions, including review of purchase and sale agreements, review of purchase price prorations, sign-off over final closing statements, coordinating final wire transactions
· For development properties placed into service, coordinate cost segregation study with external accounting firms to facilitate placing a property into service under IRS rules
· Calculate waterfall schedules for significant transactions and coordinate distributions with investors in accordance with the terms of the LLC Agreements
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, Master’s a plus
· Accounting designation (CPA, CMA)
· Minimum 10 years’ experience in senior accounting or financial management roles
· Prefer experience with a commercial real estate development or similar organization (knowledge of the construction draw process preferred).
· Strong budgeting, financial forecasting and analytical skills, and confidence with revenue generation and cost reduction strategies
· Significant expertise in Microsoft office applications specifically Excel.
· Preferred knowledge of Sage, MRI and Yardi.
Robert Half is the world’s first and largest specialized talent solutions firm that connects highly qualified job seekers to opportunities at great companies. We offer contract, temporary and permanent placement solutions for finance and accounting, technology, marketing and creative, legal, and administrative and customer support roles.
Robert Half puts you in the best position to succeed by advocating on your behalf and promoting you to employers. We provide access to top jobs, competitive compensation and benefits, and free online training. Stay on top of every opportunity – even on the go. Download the Robert Half app and get 1-tap apply, instant notifications for AI-matched jobs, and more.
Questions? Call your local office at 1.888.490.5461. All applicants applying for U.S. job openings must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Benefits are available to contract/temporary professionals. Visit https://roberthalf.gobenefits.net/ for more information.