Robert Half International Controller (Plant) in Des Moines, Iowa
Description Our Manufacturing client is looking for a Plant Controller. The plant Controller is an integral part of the plant management team. This position requires direct involvement in both plant operations and corporate finance activities and initiatives as required and is 75% Accounting Operations and 25% Financial Strategy. Duties include overall responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of financial and operational management information to be used in reporting financial results as well as managing the facility, and more specifically as follows:
• Monthly Financial Close
• Prepare all required journal entries and accruals for plant period costs
• Evaluate the financial performance of the plant - analyze spending trends and variances to budget
• Explain key performance metrics
• Production Variance Review
• Organize & support efforts to reduce unfavorable variances and targeted cost reduction projects
• Provide additional insight to operations on metrics such as scrap, cost of quality, labor, inventory fluctuations and obsolescence
• Annual Plant Budget and Ongoing Forecasts
• Work with Commercial Team on sales budget and with plant management to develop capacity requirements by work center, along with expense, capital and inventory budgets
• Standard Cost Maintenance
• Evaluate standard costing and product margins and adjust as required based on cost input or manufacturing changes
• Develop and monitor machine rates
• Prepare capital project justification / financial analysis, track spending and monitor project performance.
• Maintain fixed asset register: record new assets, transfers or retirements and calculate monthly depreciation figures. Ensure local sales/use tax and property tax compliance
• Support the plant’s safety program and Total Process Improvement initiatives Requirements EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting and 7 to 10 years of cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment is required; experience with financial and operations analysis in the areas of inventory control and supply chain management highly desired
Robert Half Finance & Accounting matches skilled professionals with remote or on-site jobs in accounting, bookkeeping, finance, audit, taxation and more on a full-time basis. Our experienced staffing professionals can promote you to employers and advocate on your behalf. We provide access to top jobs, competitive compensation and benefits, and free online training. For more opportunities, get the Robert Half app and receive instant notifications when our AI matches your skills and experience with jobs.
When you work with us, you’re working with the best. Robert Half has been recognized as one of FORTUNE’s “Most Admired Companies” every year since 1998 and was No. 1 on Forbes’ annual ranking of America’s Best Professional Recruiting Firms.
Questions? Call your local office at 1.888.490.5461. All applicants applying for U.S. job openings must be legally authorized to work in the United States.