Robert Half Senior Staff Accountant in Des Moines, Iowa
The Senior Accountant will oversee the reporting process for one of the client’s life entities. This includes preparation of and assistance with analysis for the company’s statutory financial statements, management reports, and related financial statement disclosures. This position reports to the Manager of Statutory Financial Reporting but works independently with peers and leaders across the organization.
• Performs the statutory financial statement preparation for assigned entity and/or functions. Includes journal entry preparation as well as coordinating work requirements and deadlines with other departments.
• Prepares and analyzes statutory statements and schedules for assigned entity. Researches and resolves variances and inconsistencies by conducting initial investigation and applying accounting techniques.
• Completes statutory filing requirements for assigned entity including quarterly and annual statements as well as various state surveys and questionnaires. Ensures that financial statements and supporting schedules are completed timely, accurately, and in accordance with accounting guidance.
• Reviews and completes information requests from insurance regulatory authorities. Responds to regulatory requests and questions.
• Assists with annual external audits and examinations including the preparation of work papers, analysis of data, and information gathering. Prepares Statutory basis annual financial report including footnotes.
• Responds to other departmental requests involving financial information and assists with departmental projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
• 5 or more years of accounting experience; with experience in the insurance industry preferred
• Strong analytical skills, with the ability to draw conclusions from research and report on findings
• Experience with Oracle and Essbase is preferred
• Strong communication skills and ability to work within a fast-paced environment are key
• Proficient with MS Office products such as Word and Excel
Robert Half is the world’s first and largest specialized talent solutions firm that connects highly qualified job seekers to opportunities at great companies. We offer contract, temporary and permanent placement solutions for finance and accounting, technology, marketing and creative, legal, and administrative and customer support roles.
Robert Half puts you in the best position to succeed by advocating on your behalf and promoting you to employers. We provide access to top jobs, competitive compensation and benefits, and free online training. Stay on top of every opportunity – even on the go. Download the Robert Half app (https://www.roberthalf.com/mobile) and get 1-tap apply, instant notifications for AI-matched jobs, and more.
Questions? Call your local office at 1.888.490.3195. Robert Half will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All applicants applying for U.S. job openings must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Benefits are available to temporary professionals. Visit https://roberthalf.gobenefits.net/ for more information.