Robert Half Litigation Paralegal in Oakland, California
Robert Half Legal is recruiting a Litigation Paralegal for a GROWING trial law firm in the East Bay. The Litigation Paralegal is responsible for managing the firm's casework. This is a wonderful opportunity to work in a FRIENDLY office with a VERY COLLEGIAL TEAM and have great hands-on litigation and trial experience.
The following are the responsibilities for the position:
• Open and maintain case files containing medical records, case activity, list of court dates, settlement information, etc.;
• Summarize and upload medical records, radiology films, medical billing, pathology results into database;
• Handle requests for medical, employment, military, Social Security, autopsy, and other records and prepare draft of objections to release;
• Draft responses to interrogatories, discovery requests, and meet and confer letters;
• Obtain authorizations from plaintiffs and provide records to opposing counsel and medical experts;
• Contact physicians and hospitals to get and draft declarations for deposition and trial preference motions for terminally ill plaintiffs;
• Prepare depo notices, book court reporters/videographers, draft and serve subpoenas for witnesses and documents;
• Enter court appearances and discovery / motion due dates into Master Calendar and apprise attorneys of upcoming deadlines;
• Draft pleadings including ex parte applications, noticed motions (e.g., preference, consolidate), offers to compromise, case management conference (CMC) statements, etc.;
• Prepare correspondence with clients, referring counsel, opposing counsel for supervising attorneys signature;
• Phone clients and treaters to update status reports;
• Significant trial preparation (and even war room coordination and trial attendance) work for busy trial calendar.
The following are the qualifications for the role:
• 2+ years experience as a paralegal reviewing medical records and interviewing plaintiffs in a tort/personal injury practice (need for sensitivity and compassion!);
• High attention to detail, very organized, sound decision making and creative problem-solving abilities;
• Excellent communication skills, team player but can also work independently, able to work fast under pressure to meet multiple deadlines, and manage numerous tasks for heavy caseload; and
• IT literate and experience with MS Word (good formatting skills needed) and litigation support software; and
• Trial preparation experience is a plus.
This is a direct-hire opportunity. Our well-regarded law firm client pays a base salary of $70,000 - 90,000/yr, DOE, and great benefits! For confidential consideration, please email your resume to Jon Lucchese, Vice President for Permanent Placement Services Division, at jon.lucchese‹at›roberthalf‹dot›com . Thank you!
Attention to detail and accuracy, and discretion
Exceptional communication skills that provide the ability to interact with all levels of the organization with a high customer service orientation
Previous experience working with legal terminology
Microsoft Word experience desired
Experience with witnesses
Demonstrated knowledge of litigation
Lexis experience highly desired
Comprehension of case management
Hands-on experience with federal courts
Earlier work involving document production
Background working with exhibits
General familiarity with products liability law
Exhibit lists experience highly preferred
Trial attendance experience preferred
Practical knowledge of trial notebooks
Good understanding of interrogatories
Personal injury plaintiffs experience
Complaints experience highly valued
Expertise in evidence summary
Proficiency in Discovery
Expertise in trial preparation
Concordance experience desired
Experience with trial experience
Proficiency in state courts
Adeptness in plaintiff litigation
Prior experience with medical records analysis
Foundational knowledge in deposition summary
Active problem-solver who listens for customer cues and actively resolves problems with grace and integrity
Possessing an understanding of word processing and spreadsheets is desired
Ability to take ownership of projects, writing and negotiating, planning and organizing
Build case management skills and foster client relationships while providing training to support staff. The company is also prepared to offer you compensation that is competitive when compared to other firms. If you're serious about growing your paralegal career, contact us today!
Robert Half is the world’s first and largest specialized talent solutions firm that connects highly qualified job seekers to opportunities at great companies. We offer contract, temporary and permanent placement solutions for finance and accounting, technology, marketing and creative, legal, and administrative and customer support roles.
Robert Half puts you in the best position to succeed by advocating on your behalf and promoting you to employers. We provide access to top jobs, competitive compensation and benefits, and free online training. Stay on top of every opportunity – even on the go. Download the Robert Half app and get 1-tap apply, instant notifications for AI-matched jobs, and more.
Questions? Call your local office at 1.888.490.5592. All applicants applying for U.S. job openings must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Benefits are available to contract/temporary professionals. Visit https://roberthalf.gobenefits.net/ for more information.